Wednesday, July 11, 2007

My Kayak Repair

Ok...so the first thing you must be wondering is what did I do in order to have the need to repair my kayak. Well, that's a story all in itself. Ok..I'll tell you in a condensed version. I went floating back in April and the kayak flew off the rack on the way back...except it didn't fall all the way off...the front strap came loose (actually it came completely off) and the nose found the shoulder of the highway.

Needless to say, it ground a nice sized hole in the nose leaving me with an interesting challenge on my hands. I apologize in advance for not getting a picture of it after it happened, but this is almost as good. The first two photos show the nose after I filled the inside with that "Great Stuff" expanding foam to slightly re-shape the nose in order to have a backing for the patch.

With a small bit of Google searching, I found a repair kit designed for such a problem as I had. Old Town makes it, and it is available on their website www.oldtowncanoe.com or from another place called www.adventuresports.com. It is the one designed for their Royalex boats, but it works on Polyethelyne as well. I bought it...and it seems to have worked...we'll see how well it holds up.

The last two photos show the almost finished product. I still plan on painting it, but then again...maybe I won't. It looks pretty raw in it's current form.







5 comments:

foodierachel said...

NIck, love the new blog! And that's a nice repair job as well. I just can't wait until I can go with you :)

Unknown said...

OK 2nd try. Your kayak almost look shark-like so why not paint on some teeth.

Remind me to tell you my story of how we were almost passed by a trailer we were pulling once on vacation,

Anonymous said...

sounds rockin!

john said...

hey man, my names is john and my kayak has a pretty bad hole on it as well. not that bad though obviously. anyway, did it work 100%?

Anonymous said...

John, wow it's been a while since I posted this, I apologize for not responding, yes, the repair did work and it's still bonded to the plastic. I would recommend as it has salvaged my kayak for the most part, just not pretty to look at.

Nick